Do you think anger is a sincere emotion or the timid motion of a fragile heart trying to beat away its pain?

Monday, February 18, 2013

Pragmatics

     There is a study of language called pragmatics. This refers to the idea that, in different settings, language may mean different things. The example my teacher gave is that, early at a get together, if someone asks me if I'm leaving, they may be hinting for a ride, whereas if a boss asked me why I was leaving early, they would be implying I should stay. Apparently, out of the 30 people in the class, I was the only person to not pick up on the implications behind these sentences. I took them at face value.

     This shows two things. One, I should never study pragmatic linguistics. Two, if I keep fitting into autism stereotypes, there may be something to this whole possible diagnosis thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment