Do you think anger is a sincere emotion or the timid motion of a fragile heart trying to beat away its pain?

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Standard Responses

     One thing that I've noticed lately is that, when I'm talking to someone and we're discussing things I can't process quickly - emotions, reactions, etc. - that I tend to have really standard responses. My friend pointed out to me that I can say the same exact thing two or three times in a row without even realizing it. It's not that I don't have an internal differing response to things, because I do, but I can't figure out how to output those. So, in order to cope over the years, I've developed scripted responses that work well. Unfortunately, when I fall back into using those, I apparently overuse them without even realizing it. I don't do it as much when I'm comfortable with someone and they know I'm an Aspie, since they tend to expect slightly unusual responses from me in emotional situations, but when I'm talking to someone new, apparently all of that goes out the window in my efforts to pass as neurotypical Whoops!

No comments:

Post a Comment