Do you think anger is a sincere emotion or the timid motion of a fragile heart trying to beat away its pain?

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Fanfare

When I got my first iPhone,
I changed your text tone to Fanfare
because it sounded almost as magnificent as I knew you to be.
I have not heard that text tone
since before dawn on the twelfth of September.
In the lifetime that has passed since then,
I thought I forgot the thrill that a
simple sound could instantly send up my spine.
But the rest of the world did not end when we did,
and that favored ring has not disappeared with you.
So when it blared today from the phone of a classmate,
those 8 months seemed to vanish in an instant
as I nearly checked my phone to see your name
appear with a purple heart beside it.
But of course you didn't appear.
I knew you wouldn't, not really,
but that instant of hope and expectation flared regardless.
I hope, whomever she was texting,
is as deserving of the Fanfare
as you used to be to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment